Everyone should have a killer lemon cake in their baking repertoire, with a beautiful light crumb and a bright lemony flavor, this classic olive oil cake perfect! To really make the lemon flavor shine use a mild extra virgin olive oil or a pure olive oil. To amp up the lemon, use a lemon infused olive oil.
½ cup olive oil, more for the baking pan
1 cup flour
1 large lemon, zested (about 1 Tbsp.) and juiced (about 3½ Tbsp.), kept separate
1 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. kosher salt
4 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
Powdered sugar, for serving
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan and line the bottom with a parchment round. Grease the parchment.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, lemon zest, baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat together the eggs and sugar on high until very pale and fluffy, 3 minutes.
- Reduce the mixer to low and slowly add the olive oil and lemon juice. Using a large silicone spatula, gently fold in the flour mixture until completely combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until golden and puffed up, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and run a thin knife along the edge. Let the cake cool 20 minutes before inverting onto a cake plate. Let cool completely before dusting with powdered sugar to serve.